There is only a couple of things I can really say about Saturday. Both are things I have learned about myself, which will help me in the future…
1) DO NOT ALLOW SOMEONE ELSE TO EFFECT YOUR EATING! Let’s just say that I allowed someone to get me so fucking pissed off that I went out to the bar, had a couple, then I ate stuff I shouldn’t have. This one will take some time to work on.
2) That you can do “exercise” by just doing every day things. I did not work out yesterday, yet I still managed to get 38 minutes of “activity” and burned just over 4800 calories. How? I went to Costco and walked around Lowes. Crazy huh? But very good to know.
After yesterday, it was easy to get back on track this morning. I am actually hating myself for allowing this person to get to me like that, but the way I see it… FUCK THEM!
The stats from last nights pizza!
Yesterday we didn’t end up going to the Beatniks concert. We were on our way but a quick check of WAZE showed that it would take well over 2 hours (more than 2x the normal time) to get there and that traffic was a nightmare the entire way so we turned around about a mile from the house. With that said, my mother in law drove down to join us for the races today at Emerald Downs. With her here and not knowing what to do for dinner, I thought it would be OK if we went to Round Table Pizza. I suggested this because they have a salad bar and I know they have a veggie pizza. I opted for the 1 time thru salad bar, which I loaded with lettuce, mushroom, onion, broccoli, 4 small cuts of a baby corn and yes, I used some blue cheese dressing (not nearly what I normally would have, but probably too much still). I ate it, drank 1 bottle of Widmer Hefe and had 3 of the small 8 slices of the small pizza my wife ordered, which was the Guinevere’s Garden Delight (thin crust). It wasn’t much of a “meal” but I was OK with it, volume wise. This morning I get up and when I weigh I find that I am UP 2 POUNDS! Now, I know that before eating last night I had only had about 650 calories. This made me curious so I started doing some research this morning and what I found shocked me! My total meal came in at just a tad over 1500 calories, 101 grams of fat, 2200mg of sodium with 29 grams of protein. That small, 1 time through salad bar plate and those 3 small slices of that veggie pizza plus my 12oz beer totaled 1500 calories, 101 grams of fat, 2200 mg of sodium and 29 grams of protein! WTF?! It didn’t take long to realize that my biggest culprit was the blue cheese salad dressing. Again, I put nowhere near on there what I normally would have, however, this stuff is HORRIBLE for you. I should have stayed away from it completely! Beyond that, look at the pic attached to see the stats from last nights pizza. Each of those tiny little slices on that thin crust, small VEGGIE pizza has 170 calories (70 cals form fat that means its 41% fat!), 7 grams of fat, 380 mg of sodium and 8 grams of protein. That’s just nuts to me! Lesson learned for now… EAT AT HOME!
As I sit here right now I can’t help but think about my upcoming schedule. I have been doing so good, but honestly, I have been at home and in a controlled environment. Under those circumstances, I should be able to do great! Starting tomorrow I find myself with a several challenges coming up.
My schedule is as follows:
August 2, 2013 – Beatniks concert with wife & friends in Olympia, WA
August 3, 2013 – Costco Day at Emerald Downs for the horse races with wife & friends in Auburn, WA
August 6, 2013 – Northwest League All-Star Game with my buddy Doug in Everett, WA
August 9, 2013 – Meeting my wife’s Aunt Marty in Seattle after she flies in from South Carolina.
August 10-22, 2013 – My first trip to Hawai’i with my wife (some of her family is going also).
My game plan:
Beatniks concert – we may or may not be going out to eat with friends before the show. If we do, I am going to suggest someplace where I can get something healthy. If we can’t do that, I will bring a black bean burger with me to have. If the weather is nice, we will be eating dinner at the outdoor venue where the show is and I will bring a black bean burger with me.
Emerald Downs – I will eat an early breakfast and then have lunch just before we head to Auburn. That should do me food wise. Toughest part for me will be trying to stay away from the beer they serve there. It’s been a while since I have had a few good beers, so that will be a challenge.
NWL ASG – This one is going to be tough. The gates open at 2:30pm, Fan Fest is at 3pm, Home Run Derby is at 5:30pm and then the game starts at 7:05pm. If the game goes an average length of 3 hours, that means it will be over around 10:05pm. That means we will have been there for 7.5 hours. You can’t bring food into the ballpark but my plan is to take something to eat with me and eat it in the car just before we head into the ballpark. I was going to bring some unsalted peanuts, because after all it is a ballgame, however, 1 ounce of them (about 20 shells worth) is roughly 182 calories. 20 shells is nothing to me. I could go through about 100 without even blinking an eye. So, maybe I will do like I did my last game and bring in some edamame. A 9oz pack is 158 calories. If I can get 2 of them in, I should be set.
Meeting Marty – This is the day before we go to Hawaii, so unless we go out to eat or something I can’t see this being too big of a challenge. However, to be safe, I will make sure I eat something just before we head to meet her. That should do me until we get home early that evening.
Hawai’i – Well, this is 12 nights of a challenge. This one I know going in I will be having things I really shouldn’t. I am already planning on visiting a few breweries and yes, we will be doing a Luau. I will be eating. My plan with Hawai’i is to get up in the mornings and go for at least a 30 minute walk. I think that combined with the much more than usual added activity levels should have me burning about 5000+ calories a day on average. I will continue to wear my BodyMedia FIT armband while we are there except for when we are in the water of course. That was I can track what I am burning at least. Tracking calorie intake is going to be harder, but I know that for the most part we will be eating meals at our condo, so for those meals I will be able to do the exact same thing as I do here at home… that’s a BONUS!
Lot’s to look forward to this month. With a month full of challenges, I am looking forward to sitting here September 1st and looking back to see how it went!
August 1, 2013
Wow, it’s truly amazing how fast a month can really go by! One month ago today I was declaring July “The Month of Ken”. Today is August 1st and the “Month of Ken” is officially over. Looking back on this month I can’t say that I owned it, but I can say that July 2013 is when things started to click for me. When I started to realize a lot of things and when exercise became something that was no longer something I “had to do” but something I “want to do” (never thought I would say that!). I have learned a lot about myself this past month and I would like to say that I grew as a person, but the truth is I shrank! Yep, I lost a total of 24 LBS this month! While not quite what I was targeting, still awesome none the less. The way I see it, just because July is over, does not mean that I am going to give up. No way. This is just the beginning. My mindset has changed. I look at things differently now. I need to keep working to get stronger in those feelings, to make changes not something new, but something set in stone in my life.
Let me talk a bit about yesterday. Yesterday was a weird day for me. I was tired most of the day and I figured this was from going for a walk late eveing the night before and pushing myself to personal bests in steps, distance and time. I was hurting pretty bad when I got back. Either way, yesterday I took the day off from working out. No walk, no bike ride, no nothing. I felt like I was being the biggest lazy POS ever. After 9 straight days of doing at least one of those activities and 4 straight of really doing good walks (for me anyway), it was weird not doing anything yesterday. However, most of the late afternoon/evening and into the night I couldn’t stay out of the bathroom. I had to pee so much more often than usual. I did some research online about water retention and working out and I believe that by skipping yesterday my body let go of a bunch of water that I would have normally been holding on to. How much? I don’t know for sure, but I can say that I had a just over 3500 calories deficit yesterday, yet I went down 4 lbs overnight! Just something to think about… yet not to the point of not working out. Still have to burn those calories to be able o lose the weight, no matter how you look at it. But that is certainly a decent amount of water retention. Just another thing I will keep in ind in the future when I have hard days/weeks, when I know I am doing everything right. I will look back at my blog and exercise logs and see if that might be the issue. Yet another reason to love this blog of mine
Monday’s “Timed” work out…
Monday started a new week for me. It was time to continue what I was doing right and to correct the things i was doing wrong. So, what was I doing right and what was I doing wrong?
1) I am eating healthy – this is very important. Eating right is the first, biggest step anyone can make. There are a lot of people who feel they are “dieting” or “eating right” that just simply aren’t. Then there are those that feel they can eat whatever they want as long as the exercise enough to burn those excess calories. Just because you burned those calories off doesn’t mean the junk you ate had no effect on your body at all!
2) I am exercising – this is a big one for me. I have done some sort of work out each day this past week and I see that continuing. I’m not a person that has ever enjoyed exercise. I mean, DUH, look at me, ya know? However, lately, I have really got into it. Especially my evening walks the past few nights.3) I am staying away from the bar – while drinking a few beers isn’t all that bad for you (as long as you count the calories), like most people, when I have a few I get the munchies and after drinking I don’t have the will power to stop myself from eating garbage!
1) Eating too much sodium – I understand that we all need sodium to live, however, an excess of sodium is not a good thing. I am one of those kind of people that can look at a salt shaker and retain 10 pounds of fluid. Ok, not literally, but pretty darn close. This past weekend I had things like a homemade bean burritos and Gatorade thinking its only a total of 1000 calories combined (was a gallon of Gatorade that I drank over the full day), no big deal. Mark down the calories and away I go. However, I later realized that with just those 2 items that 1 day I had consumed a little over 2000MG of sodium. That’s over DOUBLE the amount of sodium you should have for that many calories (should be a 1:1 ratio).
2) Not eating enough leafy green veggies – There is not other way to say it except I have not been doing this and I need to correct this!
3) Exercising late – I have been waiting until almost the last possible minute of the day to force in my work out. While I don’t quite understand why it would matter, I have heard/read that you shouldn’t do that. That exercising earlier in the day actually helps you in several aspects, especially when it comes to sleeping at night. I have been going for my walks around 8:30pm on average and then getting to bed around midnight-1am. I might get about 6 hours of sleep, not solid at all, before getting up and being tired most of the day. I am going to try to start exercising around mid-day and see how that goes.
4) Getting on the scale daily – Heck, sometimes I get on the scale a few times a day. I have read things that state you can’t weigh enough if that’s what you want to do to be able to track things. On the other hand I have read that you should only weigh once a week or even ONCE A MONTH! WTF? There is noway I could wait a full month to weigh. Having a great scale at home (though I wish it did partial pounds, like 1.3) is both a good thing and bad thing. Back in the weight watchers days, I was primarily going there for some place to be able to weight regularly. I thought I was using the people there as motivation, to make sure I didn’t look like a fool in front of them on weigh in days. Maybe I did a little, but the use of the scale was the biggest reason. For the last 4+ years we have had our own scale and I have watched my weight come down 150#s in that time, but, well, that’s a story for another post! I am going to try to get on the scale only once a week. Heck, when we go to Hawaii next month, that will be easy. I’ll weigh before we go and weigh when we get back 2 weeks later. Works for me. But beyond that, once we get home and back into the groove, I am gonna work on just weighing on Mondays. For now, before we go, I will will on Friday, then Monday and then not again until Friday and/or Saturday (the morning we leave).
There are probably several more things I could list on both sides of this, however, I’ll leave it at these for now. I see room to get better now only by expanding on the things I am doing right, but by correcting the ones I am doing wrong. Progress is all about being able to see things that you are doing right and wrong and being able to use them to get better. I continually remind myself of these things.. Progress, March On!
My walk from Sunday July 28, 2013
Fresh made black bean burgers… YUMMY!
My first week is in the books. How did I do? Well, let me talk a tad about Sunday first… It was a truly lazy day. The wife was up and at work early and I slept in. After getting up and having breakfast, I just hung out with the pup pups til it was time for lunch. I did then make some homemade black bean burgers. I took the time to calculate the what the calories and protein of each burger would be and everything, so that was fun. After the wife went to bed, I headed out for a walk. I set my goal to be 3000 steps, yet after 45 minutes of walking I came in at 4482 and burned 696 calories. Not too shabby!
My week went as follows:
Walked: 2.67 miles in 1 hour & 5 minutes
Rode: 45.9 miles in 2 hours & 52 minutes
Burned 3,467 calories during work outs
Consumed 10,774 calories
Burned 34,938 calories
LOST 18 POUNDS!
Now, I know that I was up 12#s the previous weekend because of retaining fluid. That means I lost 6#s on top of getting rid of that extra water I was retaining. That math shows that is how it should have been. I’m a #’s & Stats kinda guy. Love it!
Saturday, July 27, 2013
Late Night Bike Ride!
You know what is crazy? On Friday I set my personal best with having burned 5207 calories. That took a couple big work out sessions (the 2+ hours working in the yard & 39 minutes on the exercise bike) to achieve. Then there was yesterday. I really didn’t do anything all day. I hung out with my wife and was pretty much just lazy, really. I mean, I did normal every day things like transferring a beer I made from the primary to secondary to dry hop and I washed the yeast from that batch. I made breakfast/lunch/dinner and I went up and down the stairs a few times. Nothing big at all. Then around 8:30pm I started feeling guilty. By just a few minutes after 10pm I was heading outside for a short walk that lasted 20 minutes, had me going .85 miles by taking 2034 steps and burning 357 calories. By the time I got inside from doing this, I was energized to keep going, so I jumped on the bike and rode it for 24 minutes, going 6.5 miles and burning another 310 calories. When the day was over I had burned a personal best of 5254 calories. To think, it was just a lazy day
My awesome ride yesterday!
Yesterday was a freakin’ awesome day! It was Day #5 and I am not only on a roll, I am starting to kick some ass! Yesterday my wife was off work, so I hung out with her in the morning before she had to leave to go do a few things. Because of this I was unable to ride the exercise bike yesterday when I normally would have and that threw my entire day off, honestly. However, after she left I went outside and spent 2 hours and 4 minutes working in the yard in the 85* heat (35% humidity). In this time I would normally have burned about 360 calories. Instead of that I actually burned 907! You betcha! That is awesome! I would have keep going but I filled up our huge yard waste bin so I had no where else to put the stuff. After having a late lunch (homemade black bean burger) I did a few things then early evening I hit the exercise bike for my ride. My plan was to just do a 300 calorie ride, make it easy since I was getting tired fast. That didn’t happen. Nope. I ended up riding for 39 minutes and going 10.5 miles while burning 503 calories! That’s 383 over my normal burn (my RMR or BMR). When the day was all said and done I ended up with 5207 calories burned, a full hour of activity and 7754 steps taken, all personal bests for me!
Yesterday was a freakin’ awesome day… while my schedule wont allow me such a day today, here’s to another great one!
Your RMR or BMR is the amount of energy expended daily by humans and other animals at rest. Basically what this means is that it is the # of calories you burn while doing NOTHING! The more you weigh the more your body has to work to do its basic daily functions. I keep track of this because when you have a goal of a certain number of calories you want to burn daily, you need to know what you burn without doing anything to be able to know how many calories you need to burn during work outs to hit your target goal. Today as I have been looking back over the #’s since I started to wear the BodyBugg again I was shocked to see that my RMR has dropped almost 20 calories/hour. That’s the better part of 480 calories a day! This is a good sign, but a “bad” one as well. It’s good because that means I am losing weight. It’s “bad” because that means I have to work that much harder now to get to my daily goal! lol This fully explains why I have been having a harder time getting to the 5000 mark and is partly why I dropped my daily goal to 4800. Even with that drop and the best bike ride of the week yesterday, I still only got to 4778. Sure, it was only 22 to the goal mark. I get that. I was close. However, even though my goal mark is 4800, I want to go past that daily. Well, now I understand what the deal is and what I have to do…
July 25, 2013
Today’s music choice…
This morning I planned to take it a little easier than I have in the past 3 days. My plan was to burn 300 calories, but leave it at about that. As I mentioned in a different post, I still want a decent work out, to get to at least 4800 calories burned daily, but with my lower back in the shape it is, I don’t want to over do it. However, today, while my legs weren’t feeling the pain that they were yesterday early on, by the time I got to the 12 minute mark my butt was on fire it hurt so bad! It’s not really a “pain” as much as it is a “discomfort”. In the past I have tried sitting on a small pillow, but that really didn’t work either. Still uncomfortable, just a different source of discomfort. I was able to work through that though and before I knew it I was pushing myself to go a little longer and I hit my best of the week at 455 calories burned in a 8.5 mile ride. I can’t say that I will go further, go longer or burn more every time I am on the bike, but for now I will be thankful I have been able to get up on there and ride these past 4 days and burn the calories. WOOHOO!